Thursday, 21 February 2013

More in the Woods


I have almost finished the winter section of the oak wood painting. Now I have to wait for spring to arrive in order to start the spring section. It's bitterly cold here in Wales at the moment but with beautiful sunshine so very nice not to have more rain!
 


I have added an oak twig with the lichen Evernia prunastri at the base in graphite. Also some vibrant red holly berries to fill up gaps! I also drew some hazel catkins as they are now about and hazel is very much a part of the sessile oak woodland flora. Their tassels are lovely to see and the twigs have the tiniest red female flowers on them.

 
 
Below are the mosses, decaying leaves and Usnea lichen.
 


 
 

11 comments:

  1. What a beautiful idea Claire ... and it already looks exquisite.
    I love nature study pages - look forward to seeing it unfold as the seasons pass.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Vicki, its great to have a project to keep me occupied!!Enjoying this one and I hope it works out

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very inspiring Claire, I look forward to see this develop throughout the year, it looks amazing already!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is looking very lovely Claire, glad you're enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love how delicate your work is. How delightful to see all the lichens... everyone forgets about them ney? I used to love painting them when I lived in Devon, alas there aren't many of them where I now live in London! Lovely to see your work - always a pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is almost cruel; we had a warm sunny day on Tuesday only to have it whipped away and replaced with this icy blast of a week. Good things come of it though with your nature studies. If it were warm, you might be in the garden drinking in the sunshine instead!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks xx, Jess they are much underrated and great subject to paint or draw. I think I prefer these studies to blowsey flowers.
    Bella, ha haa, you're right,I'd be outside gardening then drinking!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have some lovely interesting studies going on. Really like the woodland collection with ferns and lichen and all your little finds. They all look so delicate, as indeed they really are in real life.
    Not used gouache for years, feels very strange but good to have a challenge. Like to try more things against a dark background so gouache it is. Your dog daisy is coming on beautifully and I love the foxgloves!
    Millyx

    ReplyDelete