Friday, 12 October 2012

Remnants of summer and old trees



This painting is called remnants of summer and is formed from old sketches and bits from the garden. It has lacy Hydrangea flowers, a dying rose called 'Happy Times' with a separate rose petal , a canary shouldered thorn moth, poppy seed heads, clematis seed heads and dandelion seeds. The last 3 things are in graphite. I'm not sure if its any good or not but its all practise!
It shows the changing of the seasons,summer to autumn; a time of year I love. The little moth I found, drew and released again (none the worst!),its bright yellow fluffy body caught my attention and I had to draw it. The poppy seedheads are from Dublin botanical gardens and will remind me of some lovely people I met there.



I love taking photos of old or veteran trees, they are an asset to our countryside and should be looked after as green monuments. These two above are an old chestnut and oaks in Dinefwr park near Llandeilo. Here is a link to the ancient tree forum, of the UKs woodland Trust if you're interested too.
http://frontpage.woodland-trust.org.uk/ancient-tree-forum/



 I took these today after scrambling over barbed wire! Its a huge hollowed out ash tree quite near my house. I am aiming to draw some of these old trees and other monuments in my area; a break from botanical art.

7 comments:

  1. Just so delicate and beautiful Claire, you have really captured the feeling of the changing seasons x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love the idea of a 'veteran' tree and you have certainly captured some right classic ones in your great pics. Love your remnants. It may be practice but they still look good. One for the archive! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks both xxx Yes another one for the archive!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Claire, so so lovely to see your work. This has a delicate softness to it which I love. I'm so happy that there is a little bit of our very special day in Dublin in there (even the yellow rose!!)- so nice to paint memories into a picture! Hope to see you very soon xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I meant to say the trees are fantastic too! <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Shevaun, It is a picture of memories xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Veteran tree's are always super. I remember visiting the Fortinghall Yew in Pembrokeshire with a friend of mine. It was such a spiritual event for us and a very special place. His job is to look after ancient conifers, especially Yews and has done a lot of work all over Europe. An amazing job really - taking cuttings and propagating them all. I look forward to seeing your paintings of ancient trees Claire! Love the delicacy in your end of summer painting too - so soft and refined.

    ReplyDelete