Sunday, 3 June 2012

Ynyslas Dune Slacks

During a busy week and bank holiday weekend I managed to visit Aberglasney gardens with a friend and see Marilyn Wheelers botanical art exhibition. Her beautiful work has won many awards and is very inspiring as she paints native British wild flowers and butterflies. The exhibition closes on Thursday 7th June so there's a bit of time left if you are in Wales this week.



I have also visited Ynyslas dunes twice. The orchids are slightly later this year due to the cold spring but are catching up nicely. I saw many common blue butterflies, always good.


 Above is a watercolour study and a photograph of a sub species of Early Marsh orchid ,
Dactylorhiza incarnata ssp coccinea. It has gorgeous carmine, red flowers.


Above is a gorgeous variety of the Southern marsh orchid called the Leopard, due to the amazing patterns on the leaves. I really want to start painting this one but have not had time for sketches yet. Its latin name is Dactylorhiza praetermissa var. junialis.


Above is a little plant called Adder's tongue fern; not looking like a usual fern at all.
It was believed that it could cure snake bites because of its similarity to a snake’s tongue and so got its name. This is in pen with watercolour wash.

11 comments:

  1. Hi there, I only recently came across your blog and I love it. Your artwork is so beautiful!! It is a real treat to see. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Pushka xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your work is so lovely and in particular seeing the environment also ...
    Great to see you getting some time at least to work on botanicals ..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Orchids are our common passion. and this study is really good. Brava!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you , xxx yes orchids are our passion.
    Hunting for them is part of it too!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How lovely to find plants like this and your paintings are just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aie aie aie! I am jealous! In 1998, I searched for Dactylorhiza coccinea on the west coast of Scotland but I never found it! It was a dream for me, your study is wonderfull...I saw Dactylorhiza purpurella near Ullapool, it was also very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OW Claire,I have found lots of them at this site in the dunes. Also Dactylorhiza purpurella and Dact. traunsteineroides, and so many hybrids ,its hard to tell them apart sometimes! but thats half the fun;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do like like your little Adder's Tongue Fern Claire - it has a lovely delicacy and lightness of touch. The name description is great too :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the Coccinea painting Claire. I see these at Kenfig dunes.

    ReplyDelete