Thursday, 28 June 2012

Mid Summer


I've had very busy times lately at work and visiting family so not much time to blog or paint but I have finished my 'Ynyslas in early summer' painting; adding the blue butterfly and marsh orchid. I will put in the names of each species underneath in pencil eventually. I shall start another one for mid summer too and also one from Elan Valley and other meadows so I can build up a collection of these habitat paintings.




Here are some ox eye daisies I sketched yesterday; these are one of my favorite flowers ,
 Leucanthemum vulgare. They make great compositions and are good for practising fore-shortening and painting white flowers on white paper.
When we get some nice weather I'm going orchid hunting; looking for bee and butterfly orchids especially to sketch in the field.


9 comments:

  1. Beautiful paintings Claire .. you are putting us to shame with your work rate ... this would suit so well for field studies. Lovely to see your artworks x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Vicki, it took ages though!Hope your assignment is going OK. These habitat studies are my most enjoyable type of painting,gonna do loads more!!hopefully

    ReplyDelete
  3. claire - i am trying to type this again....I love this collection you are working on. Such a wonderful idea! Beautiful composition and sweet flowers. You always inspire me....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Claire!What beautiful fresh butterflies-flowers portraits!Good Hunting in the fields!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice work Claire, love the first picture, the marsh orchid is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ox-eye daisies are a favourite of mine, but I find they are best left in the field as they can smell unpleasant sometimes. It comes as no surprise to see you have no difficulty in painting white petals on white. So beautiful, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Claire, these are looking fab. I love the habitat series idea and the ox-eye daisies always make me smile:)

    ReplyDelete