Friday, 18 May 2012


I love Azaleas and Rhododendrons and they grow well in my garden on the acid soil. 
Here is a study of Rhododendron ponticum. It has lovely orange marks on the upper petals.


 The ferns are irresistible to sketch at the moment, unfurling in every hedgerow. I'm hoping to do a fern painting when I get time. These harts tongue ferns have shiny highlights and lots of scales and hairs to convey.
.


I bought 2 new paintbrushes from Rosemary and co. (www.rosemaryandco.com/) , on a recommendation from a friend. They are superb and now my favourites. I highly recommend them too.

14 comments:

  1. The flowers are pretty but it is the ferns which I love. After looking at some unfurling leaves the other day I toyed with the idea of drawing some myself but decided against it as it seemed so much. I feel I have wimped out now and that I really should try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What beautiful work! How nice to have the new brushes when
    they work well! Ciao, Claire!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful ferns Claire. I looked at the Rosemary brushes link but there are way to many types to look through! Which brushes did you buy?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sehr schöne und detaillierte Arbeiten.
    Grüsse Dich
    janina

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone xx
    Paul, they are kolinsky sable, series 33

    ReplyDelete
  6. The unfurling ferns have an almost animal quality about them. Beautiful work, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your ferns are exquisite Claire :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Claire. There are no pictures or size references there, did you buy any of the 00 sizes?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Paul I bought a size 2 and a size 4.
    I think I'm going to get more, a size 1 and 0 aswell.
    :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful paintings Claire. You have a nice delicate touch.
    Happy Painting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Alena and Nora xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous Claire- you are so inspiring! I'll drop you a line after Friday to let you know how the get-together went, and what grand plans we've cooked up for the future! Wish you were coming....

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you Shevaun xx, Wish I was too!!One day soon I hope

    ReplyDelete