Thursday, 1 March 2012

Early Spring

The weather here in west Wales is sunny and warm these past few days,I hope it lasts a bit longer. The spring flowers are here already and I've been out gardening. I have received some seeds,lots of annuals and wildflowers,especially suited to pollinators; so single flowers with plenty of pollen.
I took a trip to London on Sunday to submit 5 paintings for the SBA exhibition. The drive was fine and parked right outside Westminster central hall, nearly opposite Westminster Abbey. Have to wait now to find out which paintings have been accepted.


 
I was going to put in a dandelion seedhead in gouache but it seemed a bit drab for a Botanical Celebration themed exhibition so I painted an Iris siberica in gouache from an old in situ tonal sketch and 2 photographs from 2010. The beautiful Iris was in my garden that year with just the one flower on it and it has now vanished from the border, probably eaten.

Heres a few random photos as I haven't been painting or drawing recently.

   
Heres my garden last June looking colourful,can't wait for summer now!


I caught this rainbow from my kitchen window.


Heres a visitor to my garden the other week!!

13 comments:

  1. I just love your Iris - I can't see how it won't end up being exhibited - it's stunning! I look forward to seeing it when I come across for the SBA Exhibition ... your gouache work is lovely. Cannot believe the rainbow is real ... aaah hope a sign of good things to come!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vicki, I zoomed in on the rainbow!
      Looks like the weather is turning bad again and cold :(

      Delete
  2. Wow, fabulous Iris! I definitely think I will be seeing it on a wall in Westminster very soon. There's no way it can't be on show. I do like gouache. I find it very tricky to work with, so I appreciate such works like this even more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow,thanks Jess,this means a lot. I've taken to it quite well and work with it very dry.It can be tricky to blend without ruining the bottom layers I've found!!Good luck with your orchids and the magic eraser!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your iris is stunning Claire!! Best of luck for the show :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Meraviglioso. I like your style with the gouache tech. Sure it will be hang on SBA Exhibition , no doubts at all! Ciao

    ReplyDelete
  6. The iris is stunning, you have really captured it beautifully. Good luck with all your work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Milly,got them all accepted now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful painting claire. How do you get that uniformity with gouache? I tried using it many years ago and gave up on it because when i tried painting over a dried layer of paint it would smudge or come off when wetted again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Paul.I know exactly what you're saying and its the one thing I hate about gouache! You have to be very careful with the brush-strokes when overlaying and not too thin with the layers or else you cannot blend properly.Its a total pain!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stunning iris. What paper did you use for this?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Elizabeth, Just seen your message- I used Daler Rowney mount card, you could use any stiff paper or card.

    ReplyDelete