Monday, 6 February 2012

Winter Sketches


The weather is cold and icy but no snow here unlike the east of the country.
I've been doodling with old pictures and sketching garlic;trying to convey the dried, scaly layers in watercolour, using subtle greys and pinks.





This is a study of garlic mushrooms with parsley that I began a year ago -its finally finished but I rushed it in some places.

Went for a walk around Devils Bridge yesterday.It's a gorge with a stunning waterfall and beautiful bridges; the lowest one dates from the 11th century. Its a good walk along the ancient woodlands of the Rhiedol valley, but lots of slippery steps so not good if you have bad knees!



I was pleased with this shot,the mossy tree frames the waterfall perfectly. I came home with lots of leaves and stuff to draw (as usual!!) and drew this fern ( Polypodium vulgare) with pen and wash and a few splatters! It captures winter essence for me.






17 comments:

  1. Preciosas pinturas y la foto de la cascada fantástica. Un saludo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the garlic picture - I've just bought a bulb of the variety Solent Wight to grow in the garden this year...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil,I'll try and grow it this year too!

      Delete
  3. Hi Claire, really like the mushroom, garlic, parsley mix, although I had my lunch, it makes me feel hungry! The pink of the garlic is particularly punchy and the green of the parsely gives a real zingy freshness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks SS, This was my garlic mushroom painting as I'm a chef! :)

      Delete
  4. Claire...lovely page....I am amazed by your lichen twig...mesmerized :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the Garlic and fern Claire. Nice view of Devils bridge too, it's been a few years since i was up there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its lovely as ever but I still prefer the Hafod Estate xx

      Delete
  6. Dear Claire, I was just looking up images of Hippeastrums and came across your blog. What wonderful pieces!! All your art makes my heart sing. Just amazing.

    Thanks for your lovely work Sandra from Australia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Sandra for your kind words xxxx

      Delete
  7. Hi Claire, Would it be ok if I became a follower, just to look at your work. Thanks Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely waterfall, they are damp cold places but always have wonderful plants and mossy banks and ferns. Love looking at your sketch book pages and the fern is much a fern, captured beautifully.
    millyx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brilliant, it is awesome work specially i like waterfall this is stunning scene you captured on paper, it is fabulous, i love it.

    ReplyDelete