Thursday, 26 January 2012

Peacock feather and Bud.


I love these beautiful,iridescent feathers and it was a chance to play with the sparkly paints again. This feather was drawn out roughly onto black card - with no pre-sketch, as I normally do with botanical subjects. Then painted with gouache as a base and then the iridescent paints on top. They were from the Dan Smith try it dot card that I bought last year. I haven't purchased any new ones (although its tempting!!)
Iridescence can be painted without sparkly mica based paints. By layering colours and creating a shimmer using homologous colours next to each other. Also stippling on the top layer with a light colour or white can create sparkle.


Then another Hippeastrum bud in gouache on board, the variety is Hip. 'Clown'. This one I found more difficult than the Picotee,I'm not sure why. Unfortunately there is a mark on the painting where I dropped the brush with white paint on it! It is only slightly noticable though- near top left bud but still annoying.




14 comments:

  1. The peacock feather has a really sensual quality to it which is just adorable. The dramatic composition and black background make this a truly stunning piece. Your comand of the Gouache as a medium is extraordinary, I love your Hippeastrum bud.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Espectacular, precioso trabajo. Un saludo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - so striking Claire - the feather is gorgeous ... and I always love your hippies ... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes it is fun to wing it and go straight to paint. It is also good to hear that even someone as adept as you drops the brush sometimes (although I can't see the spludge myself).

    How is it going on Etsy? Do you make many sales?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bella, Etsy is quiet- 1 sale;not many looking at the shop,not enough passing trade as it were. I think that botanical art is not so popular as other arts for buyers.I'll keep it going for a bit and see how it goes!!xxx

      Delete
    2. Stick with it Claire, Etsy is a growing area to sell but galleries are feeling the strain too, so I think it is art in general feeling the pinch. Good luck with it. x

      Delete
    3. thank you so much for encouragement-feeling a bit like giving up at the moment xx

      Delete
  5. Love your Hippeastrum portraits. I added your shop to my Etsy Fav's list, I'm the girl who makes bird toys. Good luck with Etsy, it can take several months before people start buying.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stunning work Claire - the black background gives them both a wonderful, dramatic quality! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love these two paintings Claire. I like black backgrounds very much. They add so much drama. Fabulous iridescence on the peacock feather. I pleasure to read and see.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks :) Got artists block at the moment tho'!! Hope it goes soon !

    ReplyDelete